Extension of COVID-19 Temporary Paid Administrative Leave
Posted on April 2, 2020
As you are aware, on March 23, the California State University granted Temporary Paid Administrative Leave (CPAL) for CSU (state) employees who are unable to work due to COVID-19 related reasons. In light of the extended federal social distancing guidelines through April 30, and in an effort to continue to limit the gathering of students, faculty, and staff, effective immediately, CPAL has been increased to 256 hours for employees who are unable to work for COVID-19 related reasons. CPAL Covid-19 Temporary Leave
The provisions remain the same. All employees (with defined timebase, academic student employees and non-represented student assistants) who have been impacted by COVID-19, are eligible. CPAL may only be used for the following purposes:
- When an employee is unable to work due to the employee’s own COVID-19-related illness or that of a family member who the employee would normally be able to use sick leave for;
- When an employee is unable to work because the employee has been directed by their supervisor or healthcare provider not to come to the worksite for COVID-19-related reasons and/or it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely; or
- When an employee is unable to work due to a COVID-19-related school or daycare closure, and the employee is required to be at home with a child or dependent, and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely or in conjunction with the childcare commitment.
As a reminder:
- All hours must be used by close of business on December 31, 2020.
- The hours may be used at any time during this designated period, provided that such use shall not adversely affect the delivery of essential University services;
- The number of hours of paid administrative leave for employees who work less than full-time shall be prorated according to the percent of the appointment. (Student assistants are eligible for up to 128 hours of CPAL.)
How to Request Paid Administrative Leave:
- Unit 3 and Unit 11 (TAs, GAs, and ISAs) employees: contact Faculty Affairs (Diane Volpp at email@example.com).
- Staff, managers and non-represented student assistants: contact Human Resources (Cathy Legarretta or Juanita Aguilar at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Auxiliary employees: Please note this Paid Administrative Leave does not apply to auxiliary employees. Contact Auxiliary Human Resources at HRAUX@listserv.csufresno.edu for information regarding leave options available to auxiliary employees.
Nothing in these provisions shall be construed in any way as to diminish the rights or benefits that our employees are entitled to under any federal, state or local law, collective bargaining agreement, or any other existing CSU policy.
We know that this additional benefit will be very helpful for many of our campus colleagues and our student assistants who are impacted by the current COVID-19 situation. We sincerely appreciate the support from CSU Chancellor White and advocacy from President Castro for these additional hours for our employees.
Please remember that our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provided by Empathia offers 24/7 confidential consultation and referral services to all Fresno State employees and their immediate families by calling 800.367.7474.
Marylou Mendoza-Miller, SPHR
Associate Vice President for Human Resources