Fall 2021 Repopulation/COVID-19
FALL 2020 PLANNING TASK FORCE
As the University determines the best path forward for Fall 2020, our decisions are guided by the safety and welfare of our campus community and our goal of providing a quality educational experience for our students. We are committed to a thoughtful approach that is inclusive of the broader campus community, including students, faculty and staff.
The Fall 2020 Planning Task Force, co-chaired by Provost Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval and Vice President Debbie Adishian-Astone, has been charged with developing a conceptual plan by May 22 to address two potential scenarios, both based on public-health realities and projections in our region:
- Planning scenario #1: For public-health reasons, fall 2020 instruction remains fully virtual, a limited number of students live in campus housing, and major events and activities remain suspended.
- Planning scenario #2: Fall 2020 instruction is mostly virtual but also includes a limited number of specialized, in-person classes, and with a limited number of students living in campus housing. For this to occur, plans will need to be developed and implemented that ensure physical distancing, safe hygiene practices, health screenings, cleaning in between classes, and proper technology to livestream and record the limited number of in-person classes.
- Ensure that our campus and facilities provide a safe and healthy environment for our students, faculty and staff.
- Uphold Fresno State's mission, values and signature standards of excellence by providing outstanding educational experiences and steady academic progression for students.
- Act consistently with our Principles of Community.
- Continue serving as responsible stewards of public and private funding.
Regarding Athletics, the Fall 2020 Planning Task Force will consider ways to adhere to all guidelines established by the California State University Chancellor’s Office, our state and local public-health officials, the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, as these relate to the resumption of team-related activities including practices, training sessions and competitions.
Moreover, our plans will help us to re-populate the campus in a safe manner and in full accordance with guidance from the CSU Chancellor’s Office and local and state public-health experts.
Fall 2020 Planning Task force members
- Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (Co-Chair)
- Debbie Adishian-Astone, Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer (Co-Chair)
- Bryan Berrett, Director, Center for Faculty Excellence
- Carolyn Coon, Acting Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
- Xuanning Fu, Interim Vice Provost
- Melissa Gibson, Professor, College of Arts and Humanities
- Omar Hernandez, ASI President
- Tom Holyoke, Political Science, Chair, Academic Senate
- Orlando Leon, Vice President of Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
- Jim Marshall, Interim Dean, College of Health and Human Services
- Tinnah Medina, Associate Vice President for Facilities Management
- Chris Meyer, Dean, College of Science and Mathematics
- Ram Nunna, Dean, Lyles College of Engineering
- Randy Perry, Professor, Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
- Hisham A. Qutob, ASI Executive Vice President
- Larry Salinas, Executive Director of Governmental Relations
- Shirley Staton, Chair, Joint Labor Council
- Terry Tumey, Director of Athletics
- Patti Waid, Director of University Communications
Expanded Task Force
- Ruth Avila, Physician, Student Health and Counseling Center
- Marsha Baum, AVP for Faculty Affairs
- Erin Boele, Director, Fresno State Housing
- Darryl Hamm, Campus Counsel
- Delritta Hornbuckle, Dean, Library Services
- Lisa Kao, Director, Environmental Health and Safety
- Malisa Lee, AVP for Enrollment Management
- Marylou Mendoza-Miller, AVP for Human Resources
- Janell Morillo, AVP, Student Health, Counseling and Wellness
- Mike Pronovost, Director, DISCOVERe
- David Luchini, assistant director, Fresno County Department of Public Health